The California Trail Center in Elko will present its annual holiday celebration, a Pioneer Christmas for kids, on Dec. 17, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Enjoy Basque dancing and holiday music and create arts and crafts during this annual event.
The celebration is free and open to everyone. Visitors are encouraged to bring non perishable food items to benefit F.I.S.H (Friends in Service Helping) and families of Elko County.
“Pioneer Christmas for Kids is a community holiday celebration,” said Park Ranger Alex Rose. “We are offering a variety of family-oriented, educational and fun activities. No electricity or batteries required.”
• Design Christmas cards. The best Christmas cards are made from scratch.
• Make a clothespin doll. Design clothes for your own pioneer clothespin doll.
• Braid a paper snowflake. Visit the snowflake station, and create your own colorful, braided paper snowflake.
• Create reindeer ornaments. Make a candy cane, reindeer ornament for you Christmas tree.
• 11 a.m.: Christmas Basque Dancing. The Elko Arinak Basque Dancers will present Christmas folk dances.
• 12 and 2 p.m.: Holiday music by Southwind. Southwind will perform holiday music in the California Trail Center’s lobby. Hot chocolate is available, provided by a Trail Center partner, the Southern Nevada Conservancy.
For more information about the California Trail Interpretive Center call (775) 738-1849. Visit the Trail Center online at www.californiatrailcenter.org or https://www.facebook.com/californiatrailinterpretivecenter.