The old-fashioned Fourth of July celebration and parade in Eureka traditionally invites a member of the United State armed forces or a veteran to be the flag bearer.
This year, for the observance of the 241 years of the nation’s independence, the flag bearer was former Congressional member and Nevada governor, retired Air Force Colonel Jim Gibbons.
Before serving as Nevada governor from 2007-2011, he served five terms in the U.S. House of Representatives, 1997-2006.
As a member of the U.S. Air Force, Gibbons was a fighter pilot in the First Special Operations Wing (SOW), Tactical Air Command. He was assigned as an A-37B pilot of the 603rd Special Operations Squadron during the Vietnam War and was awarded 19 service medals including the Unit Citation, the Aerial Achievement Medal and two Air Medals for Valor.
During the Persian Gulf War, he served as Vice Commander and tactical fighter pilot in a McDonald Douglas F-4C, again earning several of the highest medals the Air Force bestows, including two Air Medals, the Legion of Merit and the Distinguished Flying Cross.
A genuine native-born Nevada military hero, Gibbons said he was, “Happy to be a part a good old fashioned Nevada 4th of July celebration. I have seen a lot of old friends today and made new ones. I hope the tradition of this type of celebration will continue into the future.”
Parade prize winners in Eureka this year were:
• Best Float – First place, Raine’s Market/Ace Hardware, 2nd place, D.J’S Diner, 3rd place, High Desert Field Gnome.
• Best Child Float – First place Dan Dapper, horse drawn wagon driven by Payden Trevion, 2nd place, Donkey Truck, 3rd place, Diamond Mountain FFA.
• Best 4-Wheeler – First place, Honey Buzz, Olivia and Evan Hoehne, 2nd place, Tissue UTA, 3rd place, Sadie Brown, three-wheeler.
• Best Decorated bicycle – First place, Lloyd Morrison-Hand, 2nd place, Joshua Hunter, 3rd place, Rylan Prichett.
• Best Groomed Pet – First place tie between Jayden Buchanan with Gizmo the goat and Braylen Hubbard with Stella the goat. 3rd place, Lexi Hintz.
• Best Dressed Cowpoke – First place Sam and Jake Baumann with Milly the bull.
Two AR-15 rifles, supplied by Raine’s Market/Ace Hardware, were raffled off by the Eureka Fire Department. Raine’s also supplied the eggs for the egg tossing contest.
Soft drinks were supplied by the Coca-Cola Company and beer for the beer drinking contest by Blach Distributing.